Skip to main content

Medium and Supernatural: 2 Season Premieres, 2 Disappointments

Look, I love both Medium and Supernatural.  Watched both of them since they began.  Now, in the television gods' infinite wisdom, Medium is on Friday nights at 8 and Supernatural at 9.  Not on the same network - - Medium resides at CBS after NBC kicked it to the curb and the CW transferred it from following the incredible and amazing The Vampire Diaries to following the aging POS Smallville - - but how exciting could it be!

How exciting indeed, if the season openers are any indication.  And don't get me wrong, I am saying this while thinking that picking my cuticles would be more exciting.

Medium had an interesting enough idea, even if it's been done to death.  In a nutshell, Freaky Friday shenanigans happen at Casa DuBois as Allison and Bridgette awaken to find they have switched bodies.  Poor Joe.  As if that man hasn't been through enough in six or so seasons.  Of course, Allison is having visions of a homeless man being murdered and the sickening act is caught on film, while Bridgette has a crush on a fellow student who's a film buff.  Hmmmm . . . I suppose most of us can figure out where that is going.    The plot wasn't terribly exciting but anytime Medium introduces new characters, especially those the girls have met at school, felonies are sure to follow and it's guaranteed we will never see said character(s) again.  A note to TPTB at Medium:  can we switch it up this season?  Can Ariel, Bridgette and Marie have friends at school?  That aren't punks, thugs, criminals and/or sociopaths in the making?   Can Allison tone down her self-righteous attitude?  And can Joe ever get a decent night's sleep?

On to Supernatural.  Oh, how I love those Winchester boys!  The last season or two has been rift with angels versus demons and the Apocolypse drawing near and happening.  Last season left me in a bind.  Sam was the meat suit for Lucifer himself and the angel Michael wanted Dean for his personal meat suit.  What to do?  Dean got the shit beaten out of him, Cas disappeared in a streak of lightening and Sam fell in the hole to Hell, leading Dean to show up at former girlfriend Lisa's house to move in with her and be Daddy to her son Ben. 

Yawn.  Instead of kicking of this season with a bang, the taking out of demons or at least a vampire or two, we see Dean living in domesticity and (gasp!) wearing track pants and his hair ungelled and unspiky.  No!  Even Metalllicar has been relegated to the garage, hiding under a tarp, while he pokes around town in a pickup truck.  This is not my Supernatural.  However, we find out that Dean has been drinking quite a bit and apparently isn't fully on board with being a soccer mom.  He sees signs of demon infestation, Sam turns up to save his ass and we find out that Sam has been returned from Hell for just about the year that Dean thought he was gone.  Say what?  Oh yeah, and Grandpa Samuel Winchester was returned from death to hunt with Sam, as well as three other distant family members that I could give a rat's ass about.   

I think not, Supernatural.  Would Sam really leave Dean to suffer the way Sam himself suffered when Dean was relegated to Hell after selling his soul?  And was Dean really the one who wanted the home and family life?  I always thought that was Sam.  And Grandpa Samuel and the Three Stooges kidnapping that female demon to do . . . what?  Obviously something shifty going on but I'm not sure I care.  Sam leaves Dean to continue hunting while Dean is forced to stay with Lisa and Ben to protect them.  What show is this?  What did the CW do with Supernatural cause this sure ain't it. 

The worst part was the total and absolute lack of any witty and smartass banter between the brothers.  That is why I watch Supernatural.  Well, that and the supernatural aspects of the show.  If I can't have Sam and Dean in Metallicar,cruising to some kick ass 70s classic rock, with their trunk full of salt, holy water and iron, I'm not sure I can be along for the ride.

How about you?  Did you catch Medium and/or Supernatural?  Do you agree with me? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Melissa, the Queen Bridezilla

The lovely Melissa Photo Source:  WETV.com So I was channel surfing last night and ended up having a good two (okay, maybe three) hours of my life drained by WE's bridal bitchfest Bridezillas .  I realize the point of the show is to showcase what out of control hags some women are when planning their weddings but Miss Melissa really takes the cake.  First, she claims to be 23 and I always find it interesting that most of these chicks look older than they claim to be.  I'd like to see a birth certificate before I agree to that.  She also claims to be in medical school, which is really funny considering (1) Melissa seems to have an awful lot of free time on her hands, to bitch, whine, complain and threaten to kill people and (2) for someone who claims to want a career saving lives, she sure talks about taking a lot of them.  (Case in point:  Melissa, concerned that she won't be happy with her wedding cake, tells the camera that if the baker screws it up, she will kill h

Lisa Cuddy: The Most Unprofessional Administrator of All Time

"When you bend over, I can see your IUD."  Gregory House, M.D. Let me begin by saying I love House.  I love Hugh Laurie.  I love Wilson.  I love Robert Sean Leonard.  I don't, however, love Lisa Cuddy.  I'm not sure where to begin but I know where it will always end up.  Her fricking attire.  Cuddy is supposed to be the administrator of a huge, well-respected hospital in Princeton, New Jersey.  And yet she dresses in too tight skirts with too tight and too low cut blouses and sweaters like she's auditioning for a Hot for Teacher video.   If I walked into a hospital and saw someone dressed like that I would assume either a) she's a stripper who suffered a slip and fall from the pole at work, b) she's an "enterprising" legal assistant/paralegal who is sleeping with her boss who is representing said stripper over the said slip and fall or c) she's a hospital receptionist who is looking to bag a wealthy doctor.  Okay, maybe a bit extreme

Bitch, Please: Toddlers & Tiaras

Okay, so I watched Toddlers & Tiaras this week.  Had heard about it, heard in the past that it was a pedophile's dream show, how they exploited kids, blah, blah, blah.  I was channel surfing and there was nothing else on so I stopped.  And watched.  Stunned. Do parents like these really exist?  WTF is wrong with them?  And how on earth does a 2 month old baby win a pageant?  The least amount of drool?  Best pacifier?  Carried the best by parent?  I'm confused.  But I digress. Apparently the format is that each episode follows several kids and their severely in need of therapy parental units as they prepare for and then compete in some type of child's beauty pageant, with the end of the show being the crowning of the winners. This episode of T&T  begins with the unforunately named Brystol of Lexington, South Carolina who is 18 months old and has supposedly won top prize in every pageant she has competed in.  Before you snort and wonder how many pageants she